Saturday, May 21, 2011

Arriving in Honduras


El Rosario 2011


Sunday, May 15, 2011
Greg
Arriving in Honduras/El Rosario.

Four or so hours on a plane (I can’t remember exactly… I slept for most of it) and three hours in a truck and here we are.  First impressions of El Rosario were different then I expected. 

I was told that this place was poor beyond belief.  I rode in on rocky dirt roads with cavernous ruts (it was always an adventure navigating each one) through riverbeds and around mudslides to a place with the same dirt roads, livestock, feral chickens, and very few cars.  There were also concrete foundations, satellite dishes, some streetlights, and smiling people.

I was then informed that it did not used to have these amenities and it was largely due to the ACTS program that they were able to obtain them.  It seems to be a rarity at this day and age that people care about other people enough to help them out as such.

The people here are used to gringos.  They are patient, humble, and for the most part, they have pride for their village and their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment